On 21/03/2010 7:12 AM, Scott Marlowe wrote:
On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 3:57 PM, Herouth Maoz<hero...@unicell.co.il>  wrote:

The problem is not so much danger in upgrading, but the fact that doing so
without using the system's usual security/bugfix update path means
non-standard work for the sysadmin, meaning he has to upgrade every package
on the system using a different upgrade method, being notified about it from
a different source, and needing to check each one in different conditions,
which makes his work impossible. So the policy so far has been "Use the
packages available through debian". So I'll need to check if there is an
upgrade available through that path - and the question is whether it's
worthwhile (i.e. whether the bug in question has indeed been fixed).

I'm certain debian keeps the pgsql packages up to date within a few
days or at most weeks of their release .

In sid (unstable), sure. But the stable releases don't usually see major version upgrades (like 8.3 to 8.4) unless they're done via unofficial channels like backports.org .

--
Craig Ringer