Vick Khera wrote:
You really *never* delete this data?  I would suspect then that having
a partitioning scheme where the number of partitions can grow over
time is going to be important to you.

he said a new table is created each day, but nothing about these daily tables being partitions in a larger view. I don't know if that means the old daily tables are deleted eventually or just kept forever. he then said the daily table will be growing by 10X, I don't know if these means 10 times more vehicles or 10 times the number of daily trackpoints per vehicle. he said this daily table has two indexes, I suspect these are vehicle number, and time of track point, but I'm just guessing.

if it is by vehicle and by time, and the number of vehicles is multiplying, he could partition by vehicle if the daily table becomes oto large, or he could partition by hour. partitioning per vehicle would allow putting them in different tablespaces, which could be on different disk drives and spread the write load out across more spindles, while hourly would concentrate all the writes on the same sub-table.