I have been searching through the docs and mailing list and haven't found a way
to do this, so I thought I would ask the community.

I would like to know if there is a way in PostgreSQL to avoid repeating an
expensive computation in a SELECT where the result is needed both as a returned
value and as an expression in the WHERE clause.

As a simple example, consider the following query on a table with 'id' and
'value' columns, and an expensive computation represented as a function:

  SELECT id, expensivefunc(value) AS score FROM mytable
     WHERE id LIKE '%z%' AND expensivefunc(value) > 0.5;

It would be great if I could find a way to only compute expensivefunc(value) at
most once per row, and not at all if the other WHERE constraints are not
satisfied.

For this simple case I know that I could rewrite the SELECT as something like
the following:

WITH other_where AS (
    SELECT id, value FROM mytable WHERE id LIKE '%z%'
  ), calc_scores AS (
    SELECT id, expensivefunc(value) AS score FROM other_where
  )
SELECT id, score from calc_scores WHERE score > 0.5;

This works in this simple case, but my guess is that it probably adds a lot of
overhead (is this true?), and I also have to deal with much more complicated
scenarios with multiple expensive calculations that may not fit into this kind
of rewrite.

Does anyone know of a simpler way to accomplish this?

For example, it would be great if there were a function that could reference
the Nth select list item so it is only computed once, like:

  SELECT id, expensivefunc(value) AS score FROM mytable
     WHERE id LIKE '%z%' AND sel_list_item(2) > 0.5;

or if there were temporary variables in the WHERE expressions like:

  SELECT id, tmp1 AS score FROM mytable
     WHERE id LIKE '%z%' AND (tmp1 = expensivefunc(value)) > 0.5;

Any ideas anyone!

Thanks in advance!
Bob