On 06/14/2011 08:19 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

Sim Zacks<s...@compulab.co.il>  writes:
All the suggestions given are for the server OS :-(
My purpose is to be able to return a correct file path to the client
without it specifying the OS.
File path?  Seems to me that even if you knew the client OS, that'd
provide next to no information about the installation pathnames of the
client software.  Maybe you need to be a bit clearer about what you're
trying to accomplish.

                        regards, tom lane
It is much simpler then that. My data includes file references.
One table has the filename with a path placeholder and another table contains the windows and linux versions of the full path. This is for an intranet and we _always_ have the same drive letters (windows) and mount paths (linux) for every client. When the client requests data that includes a file reference, I want to send the relevant path.

Sim