On 14 Jun 2011, at 5:51, Vikram A wrote:

> Dear Mr. Craig Ringer,
> Thank you for your response.
> I would like to crypt certain sensitive information in my applications such
> as Student register number, their marks, results etc. For this reason i done
> a study for doing encryption. Where I found that this PGP will help the
> encryption/decryption.
> Any other methods/techniques are there for encryption? I prefer encryption
> with "key"; key also should not be known to Developers.

I fail to see why you would need encryption for something like this.

If you can't trust your developers, then you're in trouble. Your developers
surely signed a contract that prohibits them from sharing confident information
(and apparently it is, or you wouldn't bother trying to get it encrypted) with
other people - they did, right?

Your students shouldn't have access to your database server, so they can't read
or manipulate that data.

If your developers do share such information with the "outside" world, they're
looking at a court case with a hefty fee. If your students break into your
server, they committed a crime.

So what exactly is the encryption supposed to solve? Do you really need it?

Alban Hertroys

--
Screwing up is an excellent way to attach something to the ceiling.

!DSPAM:737,4df7066c12091187585653!