Merlin Moncure, 12.09.2011 21:28:
With the second attempt, the installer again hang during initdb. Checking
the state using ProcessExplorer I could see that the installer script was
waiting for icacls.exe to set permissions for the user currently running the
installer. It was running [icacls.exe "thomas"] instead of [icacls.exe
"mydomain\thomas"] - although I have to admit that I don't know if that
would make a difference.

So I killed the iacls.exe and the script proceeded, just to hang at the next
call to icacls.exe when it tried to set the privileges on the directory for
the postgres user despite the fact that that user already was the owner and
had full control over it. So I killed icacls.exe again and then the script
finally finished without problems. The service was registered and
successully started.

UAC is turned off on my computer.

hm, why is icacls hanging? does it do that if you run it from the command line?

I re-ran the installer and copied the actual commandline the installer was
using.

It turned out that it tries the following:
(Note that the selected data directory is c:\Daten\db\pgdata91)

   icacls  C:\ /grant "tkellerer":RX

(Changing the permission for the whole harddisk!!)

Then when I kill that process, the installer starts a new one with

  icacls  "C:\Daten" /grant "tkellerer":RX

Then I kill that one again, a new one is started with:

  icacls  C:\ /grant "postgres":RX

Then after killing that one, a new one is started with:

  icacls  "C:\Daten" /grant "postgres":RX

So it didn't actually hang, but changing the permissions for the entire
harddisk (170GB taken) and the complete c:\Daten (~20GB) directory twice would
have taken ages.

Seems there is something fishy about the way the iacls.exe commandline is
assembled.

Regards
Thomas