> The base backup necessary to initialize a warm standby server is a full file
> system backup of the database, which can also be used for restores to any
> point in time after the base backup is completed, assuming you also have all
> the archived WAL files.

Thanks to both of  you.  I currently use the base backup technique for
use with a warm standby server but was not aware I could use that for
full file system level backups as well.

In fact, I currently run a warm standby server (created from a base
backup every several weeks) as well as stop/start the pg process to do
a full file system level copy each night.  If I think about this a
bit, I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing this.  (As well as
may solve another problem I'm having (another post) with the standby
server's database getting corrupt after stopping/starting the
primary's pg process.)