The initial issue was that log file contains messages in different
encodings. So transcoding is performed already, but it's not
This is not true. Transcoding happens only when PostgreSQL is built
with --enable-nls option (default is no nls).
I'll restate the initial issue as I see it.
I have Windows and I'm installing PostgreSQL for Windows (latest version, downloaded from enterprise.db). Then I create a database with default settings (with UTF-8 encoding), do something wrong in my DB and get such a log file with the two different encodings (UTF-8 and Windows-1251 (ANSI)) and with localized postgres messages.