On Wednesday, January 2, 2013, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 1/2/2013 7:45 PM, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>> You really need to put a connection pool in place to limit the number of
>> concurrent workers. Look at PgBouncer or PgPool-II. As far as I know
>> neither of them runs on Windows; you might want to think about a Linux
>> box as a front-end.
>>

> 2nd and 3rd the emotion.
>

> of course, a pooler only works right if the client applications are
> modified to open a connection, do a transaction, and close the connection.
>  if the clients continue to hold idle connections, the pooler won't do
> anything useful for you.

If you can get away with pooling at the transaction level rather than the
session level, then you should still get a benefit even if the connections
are persistent.  (If each of the 500 connections is as connected as a
different PG role, you wouldn't get a benefit from transaction pooling, but
in that case you probably wouldn't get a benefit from session pooling,
either.)

Cheers,

Jeff