On Apr 8, 2013, at 8:46 PM, Jeff Janes wrote:

> On Monday, April 8, 2013, Ramsey Gurley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having issues with slow queries using postgres, and I'm finding some of
> the issues difficult to reproduce. My application logs slow queries for me,
> but often, when I go back to run explain analyze on the query it is very
> fast. I assume this is due to some sort of caching. Here is an example:
>
> sqlLogging _valuesForSQL ran 116509ms with sql string:
>
> I think that your IO subsystem is getting congested on occasion, and that you
> have a "selection bias".  You are seeing in your log the occasions on which
> it is running slow, but not seeing the occasions it is running fast.  When
> you run it manually, you see a result similar to the (invisible, but
> frequent) times that it did not run slow.

I think you're right about this. It seems to run fast most of the time. It's
those times it takes 2 minutes to respond to a customer which I'd like to
minimize or eliminate.

But I think caching has a bit to do with it too. I can go back to the logs from
last week and run a slow query and it will frequently be equally slow again.
Not always, but enough that I think something else is wrong with my setup.

> You should monitor with sar, or iostat, or vmstat, or similar.

I'll look into that. Thanks Jeff :)