On 5/12/2013 7:20 PM, John R Pierce wrote:

the real SLC drives end up OEM branded in large SAN systems, such as sold by Netapp, EMC, and are made by companies like STEC that have zero presence in the 'whitebox' resale markets like Newegg.

Agreed. I don't go near the likes of Simple, HGST, F-IO, SMART, et al. For me this is SAS and SCSI re-born -- an excuse to charge very high prices for a product not significantly different from a much cheaper mainstream alternative, by exploiting unsophisticated purchasers with tales of enterprise snake oil.

ymmv, but since I am spending my own $$, I'll stick to product I can order from the likes of Newegg and Amazon.