On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 6:46 PM, Steve Atkins <st...@blighty.com> wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2015, at 1:21 PM, Ray Madigan <raymond.madi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I have been using postgresql in java off and on for many years.   I now
> have an assignemtn where I have to build a very straight forward networked
> application that needs to be able to insert Array data types from a windows
> environment to a remote Linux Postgresql database.
> >
> > My first attempt was to use Qt.  Their is a postgresql driver and found
> out the hard way that it doesn't support the Array data type.  I need a
> small ui so the user can set options for the application.   My question is,
> are there other UI options that I can use to development this application.
>
> The Qt database driver is not great for general use. Where it shines is
> when you want to do simple CRUD queries and to have them connected to
> widgets with minimal work. It should support arrays, though, with a little
> data transformation.
>
> If you're looking to use C++ then Qt is an excellent framework for a GUI
> app - one that you won't beat for cross-platform work - but you might
> consider whether using libpqxx or libpq to connect to the database might
> suit your needs better.
>
> Cheers,
>   Steve

I tried to use libpq this morning and all it can do is crash.  I have
Postgresql running on my local machine and have installed the ODBC drivers,
not that that matters at this point.  I can't seem to get past the call to
connect to the database.:

my code looks like:

    PGconn * connection;

    char       conninfo[250];

    sprintf(conninfo, "user=%s password=%s dbname=%s hostaddr=%s
port=%d", "user", "password", "foo", "192.168.3.3", 5433);

    qDebug() << "Foo1: " << conninfo;

    connection = PQconnectdb( conninfo );

    qDebug() << "Foo1: ";

And I get