On 4/18/15 12:47 AM, David G. Johnston wrote:
If you could find a way to pass a value of type some_table into the
function - instead of the name/text 'some_table‘ - you could  possibly
use polymorphic pseudotypes...just imagining here...

Oh, I didn't think about that. Maybe I'll try it.

What I ended up with is this:

CREATE FUNCTION ... (
) RETURNS SETOF text ...
RETURN QUERY EXECUTE format(
    'SELECT row(t.*)::text FROM %I.%I AS t'
    , ...
);

So the function is getting a record and casting it to text. To call the function you have to...

SELECT (function(...))::name_of_table).*

that gives you the same output as if you'd selected directly from the table.