>> ​I wrote that type off as something I would never code into my own
>> schema so basically forgot about its usability in other situations.
>>

> Though if you do not want to use the money type in a table you could do:
>
> test=> select '$18,665'::money::numeric;
>  numeric
> ----------
>  18665.00
> (1 row)

​Except I have to define the table with money so that json_populate_record
uses the correct cast.  But yes, when actually using the data, or if I
decide to make a view on top of the table, I can cast from money to numeric.

I guess I could define a custom type using money and then define the table
using numeric and transform in between; but its yet another definition to
keep in sync.

Money perfectly meets my current need and no longer has my scorn.

David J.
​