On 08/25/2015 05:21 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
On 26/08/15 11:34, Adrian Klaver wrote:
[...]

Agreed, but it happens. When Lowes took over a local hardware
chain(Eagles) here in Washington state they moved very quickly on
changing the account numbers. The company I worked for who supplied
Eagles and then Lowes sat on a check for $22,000 that was sent to us
in error because the account numbers got switched. We called them when
we got the check, but it still took them six months to own up to it.

DOH!

Next time a screwball outfit sends you a check for $22k erroneously just
go deposit it :-)

Well that is what I wanted to do, the owner overruled me:(. Something
about Lowes having more lawyers then we did. The strange part was we
called them and told them what had happened and supplied the relevant
information that explained the mix up. You would have thought us
calling to return a check that was supposed to be to us would have
raised a flag!
[...]

Many years ago a department store credited our account with a refund for
about $150, which obviously was not meant for us - we had never bought
that item!

They replied, essentially saying we we were due the refund.

We sent a letter yet again, explaining the problem, and saying we were
not entitled.

They then sent used a check for the amount, which we cashed, feeling we
had done our best to help them & that we could not be bothered wasting
more time trying to sort things out for them!

I have seen this enough to think either companies would rather take the loss then admit the mistake or employees don't care because it is not their money.

I think any judge would laugh them out of court!

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.kla...@aklaver.com