On Sun, Aug 21, 2016 at 12:30:21 -0500,
 Bruno Wolff III <br...@wolff.to> wrote:

I should also try the equivalent test in perl to see if it is more likely tied to the unicode implementation on my system or if it appears to be Postgres specific.

It looks like my locale may not be being set the way I expect. I tried testing in perl and initially I got results consistent with Postgres, but when I added code to make sure perl was working in utf-8 mode I started getting the expected results.

I would have expected manually adding a collation to the queries would have worked even if the default was not what I expected. So pointers to what I am missing would still be appreciated.