On 12/07/2016 02:06 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 7:33 AM, Michael Sheaver <mshea...@me.com> wrote:
I would like to echo the sentiment on collation and expand it to
character sets in general. When issues with them come up, they do
take an incredible amount of time and effort to resolve, and are
one of my own biggest pain points when dealing with databases and
datasets from other sources.
I would be much happier if most developers understood the
difference between a character set (e.g., Unicode) and a character
encoding scheme (e.g., UTF-8 or UTF-16) and how the two concepts
relate.  If we reached a point where most DBAs understood the point
of being able to set a client_encoding that is different from the
server_encoding, I think I would need to pop the cork on some
champagne.

Hm.  Maybe a topic for a blog post....

--
Kevin Grittner