On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 8:25 PM, Adrian Klaver <adrian.kla...@aklaver.com>
wrote:

> On 12/07/2016 05:19 PM, metaresolve wrote:
>
>> Uh, yeah, it was a SELECT * from cc_20161207;
>>
>> I know, it was dumb. I didn't realize it would break it or at least run
>> for
>> a while. I tend to do things in small steps, run a query, check my
>> results,
>> then tweak.
>>
>> You're right, I wouldn't want to be viewing those million. so I guess I
>> could just be doing the top 10000 rows to get a sense, then be doing my
>> aggregate group bys/etc to get my final numbers? That's how I hacked
>> Access
>> to be my data analysis program until I got to Alteryx. But I was also
>> never
>> using files of 1M then.
>>

> FYI pgAdmin, if I remember correctly, has a setting that limits the
> maximum number of rows that it will fetch at a time.
>

> --
> Adrian Klaver
> adrian.kla...@aklaver.com
>

> --

With regard to John's comments
>Postgres, on a properly scaled and tuned database server, can handle
billions of records.
>Obviously, doing something silly like querying all billions at once will
never be fast, thats a lot of data to marshal and process.

On a similar note, your table structure is not exactly optimized for a
relational database.
I see no primary key to identify each row. In addition, the election & vote
columns
belong in a separate table that is a child of cc_20161207, since they are
repeating fields.

eg:
ALTER TABLE cc_20161207
  ADD COLUMN cc_20161207_pk serial;

UPDATE cc_20161207
  SET cc_20161207_pk = nextval(cc_20161207_pk_seq)
WHERE cc_20161207_pk IS NULL;

ALTER TABLE cc_20161207
  ALTER COLUMN cc_20161207_pk SET NOT NULL;
ALTER TABLE cc_20161207
  ADD CONSTRAINT cc_20161207 PRIMARY KEY (cc_20161207_pk);

CREATE TABLE election_data (
cc_20161207_pk bigint NOT NULL,
election_id serial NOT NULL,
election varchar(4),
vote_type varchar(1)
CONSTRAINT election_data_pk PRIMARY KEY (cc_20161207_pk, election_id)
);

--
*Melvin Davidson*
I reserve the right to fantasize.  Whether or not you