05.02.2017 22:05, I wrote:
[...]
And yes, running Process Explorer gave some new and unexpected input.
During the period of this strange high load it claims 40% CPU is used by
interrupts (normally 0.01%) and 3% used by backend postgres.exe
(normally approx 0%). I'd guess this means some problem happening in the
OS (which hosts this postgres.exe), probably related to network
communication? (Because nothing else seems likely related to interrupts
in such scenario?)

Ok, I've got a working example as simple as the following:

do {
    for (i=0; i<40; i++) {
        Sleep(15);
        res = PQexec(conn, "SELECT localtimestamp ");
        if (PQresultStatus(res) != PGRES_TUPLES_OK) return 1;
        PQclear(res);
    }
    fprintf(stdout, "*");
    Sleep(350);
} while(1);

Here, Sleep(15) and Sleep(350) are very important, removing or changing them can cause the effect to disappear. Looks like some timing-sensitive issue in windows TCP/IP implementation? But then, how can it be that no-one have noticed it yet? Puzzling.

Thank you.

Regards,
Nikolai

Additionally, I've now got a kernrate viewer reports, one for high load,
and one for normal load period, attached below. Here, tcpip shows some
more kernel activity during the problematic period, but the difference
is not so huge.

Time 36348 hits, 25000 events per hit --------
Module Hits msec %Total Events/Sec
intelppm 35048 45640 96 % 19198071