I was in exactly the same situation a few years ago.  As you say ideally we'd
move away from table_log - but when the users are used to doing things the
table_log way and they like it...

I have a slightly more up to date fork (here:
https://github.com/glynastill/pg_table_audit), which as I recall works fine
with 9.6.  In general the whole thing would benefit an overhaul, but I think
the effort of moving to a better format would be less.

I also wrote a pl/pgsql version as mentioned by Felix, but I wasn't ever
particularly happy it so stuck with the above fork with the intention of
switching away to a json format eventually.

Glyn