Hi All,

This more of a general interest than specifically Postgres question. Are
there any “semi-imperative” query languages that have been tried in the
past? I’m imagining a language where something like this:

for employee in employees:
    for department in department:
        if employee.department == department.department and
           department.name == "infosec":
            yield employee.employee, employee.name, employee.location,
employee.favorite_drink

would be planned and executed like this:

SELECT employee.employee, employee.name, employee.location,
employee.favorite_drink
  FROM employee JOIN department USING (department)
 WHERE department.name == "infosec"

The only language I can think of that is vaguely like this is Fortress, in
that it attempts to emulate pseudocode and Fortran very closely while being
fundamentally a dataflow language.

Kind Regards,

  Jason
​