John et al,

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 12:13 AM, Igor Korot <ikoro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> | 207 MB  | pg_default |
>>>  pierce         | pierce    | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> | 6786 kB | pg_default |
>>>  postgres       | postgres  | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>>  scac           | scac      | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> | 75 MB   | pg_default |
>>>  scac_save      | scac      | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> | 105 MB  | pg_default |
>>>  smf            | smf       | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> | 34 MB   | pg_default |
>>>  sympa          | sympa     | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> | 6898 kB | pg_default |
>>>  template0      | postgres  | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> =c/postgres          +| 6457 kB | pg_default | unmodifiable empty database
>>>                 |           |          |             |             |
>>> postgres=CTc/postgres |         |            |
>>>  template1      | postgres  | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> =c/postgres          +| 6465 kB | pg_default | default template for new
>>> databases
>>>                 |           |          |             |             |
>>> postgres=CTc/postgres |         |            |
>>>  tendenci       | tendenci  | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> | 15 MB   | pg_default |
>>>  test           | postgres  | UTF8     | en_US.UTF-8 | en_US.UTF-8 |
>>> | 6634 kB | pg_default |
>>> (12 rows)
>>>

>>> for instance, all my databases are UTF8 on that server.
>>
>> Looks like mine are as well:
>>
>> draft=# \l+
>>                                                                List of
>> databases
>>    Name    |  Owner   | Encoding | Collate | Ctype |   Access
>> privileges   |  Size   | Tablespace |                Description
>> -----------+----------+----------+---------+-------+-----------------------+---------+------------+--------------------------------------------
>>  draft     | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     |
>>     | 11 MB   | pg_default |
>>  leagues   | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     |
>>     | 5865 kB | pg_default |
>>  postgres  | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     |
>>     | 5865 kB | pg_default | default administrative connection
>> database
>>  template0 | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     | =c/postgres
>>    +| 5865 kB | pg_default | unmodifiable empty database
>>            |          |          |         |       |
>> postgres=CTc/postgres |         |            |
>>  template1 | postgres | UTF8     | C       | C     | =c/postgres
>>    +| 5865 kB | pg_default | default template for new databases
>>            |          |          |         |       |
>> postgres=CTc/postgres |         |            |
>> (5 rows)
>>
>> I'm using the draft one.
>
> And my application is compiled in UNICODE mode.
>
> Now IIUC, in order to work correctly, the application and the database
> should have
> the same encoding. If I'm right, what is the way to get the encoding

My application has a different ways to connect to the database.
One way is thru the ODBC another is thru the native client library.

When trying to connect using ODBC (iODBC + PostgreSQL driver)
everything works correctly. There is no errors.
However, when trying to connect with libpq, I get the aforementioned error.

I tried to call:

setlocale( LC_ALL, "" );

before and after I get the connection as suggested by ODBC driver maintainer,
Hiroshi Inoue, but it didn't help.

Is there anything else I can try to fix the problem?

Thank you.