On 10/15/2017 6:42 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:
On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 9:09 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org <i...@lucee.org <mailto:i...@lucee.org>> wrote:

    Melvin,

    On 10/15/2017 5:56 PM, Melvin Davidson wrote:

        On 10/15/2017 4:01 PM, Igal @ Lucee.org wrote:

            Hello,

            I'm trying to add an identity column to a table that has
            records (previously had a bigserial column which I removed):

        There is probably a better solution, but the one I came up
        with is to add the column as BIGSERIAL and DROP the SEQUENCE
        CASCADE, SELECT the max(rid) + 1, and then convert the column
        to IDENTITY:

    The correct way to make r_id the primary key would be:

    ALTER TABLE  event_log
      ADD COLUMN r_id SERIAL;

    ALTER TABLE  event_log
      ALTER COLUMN r_id TYPE BIGINT,
      ADD CONSTRAINT dummy_pk PRIMARY KEY (r_id);

    That automatically generates the column as

    r_id bigint NOT NULL DEFAULT nextval('dummy_r_id_seq'::regclass),
      CONSTRAINT dummy_pk PRIMARY KEY (r_id)

    and creates the appropriate sequence for you.

    Does that use the new IDENTITY construct that was added in
    Postgres 10?  I do not really care for the PRIMARY KEY
    constraint.  I just want the sequence with the benefits of the new
    IDENTITY "type".

> Does that use the new IDENTITY construct that was added in Postgres 10?

I cannot say, as I do not yet have PostgreSQL 10 installed because it was very recently released.
However, the method I supplied works for all prior versions of PostgreSQL.

Understood.  But I already had a an auto-increment column by way of BIGSERIAL.

I want specifically to use the new IDENTITY feature of Postgres 10.

Best,

Igal Sapir
Lucee Core Developer
Lucee.org <http://lucee.org/>