On 11/11/17 13:45, Christoph Berg wrote:
Re: Magnus Hagander 2017-11-11
<CABUevExt7aLarQ2RE5KP9rRUTQSioAxi5FMq=jj9nebtbc+...@mail.gmail.com>
Is there any way that either the package maintainer or a site
administrator/programmer such as myself can mark the Postgres server
packages as "manual upgrade only" or similar? Or since I'm almost certainly
not the first person to be bitten by this, is there a preferred hack in
mitigation?

Certainly. Unrelated to PostgreSQL, this is a standard feature in Debian.
Commonly used to prevent things like kernel upgrades from happening on the
same schedule as others.

Basically, you put the package "on hold". See the debian administratino
guide at
https://debian-administration.org/article/67/Preventing_Debian_Package_Upgrades

Another thing you can do is preventing package upgrades from
stopping/starting services by using a policy-rc.d:

https://jpetazzo.github.io/2013/10/06/policy-rc-d-do-not-start-services-automatically/
https://people.debian.org/~hmh/invokerc.d-policyrc.d-specification.txt

However, if you do that, you need to take measures to actually restart
into the new version manually later.

Thanks Christoph, Magnus and Rob (and anybody else whose contribution I've not seen yet :-)

I think that the "preventing upgrades" route is the one to follow, since inhibiting the restart would obviously present a risk that something loaded dynamically could get out of step. As an at least temporary hack I've disabled unattended updates using

# systemctl disable unattended-upgrades.service

This is obviously a system which is deeply isolated from public exposure.

In the general case I'd caution against any attempt to edit the content of /etc/init.d on recent versions of Debian, since I've come across at least one package that puts a file in there and then ignores both it and the associated control in /etc/default.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk