codeWarrior wrote:

SELECT trim(trailing ' ' from city_name) AS city_name FROM sys_cities;

You might consider reading the manual as there are a multitude of string
manipulation functions built into postgreSQL....
You didn't answer his question. If you're going to rag on someone for not reading the manual, at least you could read what he's asking.

"Pierre Couderc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
In a WHERE clause, I want to to compare strings ignoring the spaces inside
them. Is therd a function to do that? I do not find it in the
documentation.

SELECT ... WHERE (ignore_spaces(table.phone_number) ~* igore_spaces(?));

would be fine but ignore_space() does not exist!
Maybe there is a solution based on regular epxression, but I do not see
it.
I don't see a way to do it through regular expressions, either, though in the phone number case, you could split the phone number into different columns based on area code, whatever the middle group is called, and whatever the last group is called. Or you could remove the spaces before inserting and comparing, or write a function with pl/perl or something. With perl's greater regular expression control, it would probably be a one liner.

Jeff

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq