You will need to provide more information about the data requirement- such
as column types, what you need to search for, and the actual queries and
execution plans.

Purely as a guess, it seems like you haven't tried partial indexes:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/sql-createindex.html

Mit freundlichen Gruessen aus den USA,

On Sat, May 6, 2006 2:58 pm, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Hello,
>

> for 4 weeks I have imported (text) data of 50 DVD's from a customer into
> my PostgreSQL and now I have a very big problem...  The maintable (called
> 'timeline' is around 350 GByte in size...
> ...and searching is the hell!
>

> Since I try to redesign my Database since some time, I like to use for
> each year ONE table using tablespace and would like to know what happen
> with a backup and restoring it.
>
> How does the restore know whewre to place, etc.
>

> And, it is possibel to get a table (restoring), if, for example I have
> only one Disk where the tablespace was created?
>
> Or would it be better, to run several postmasters using one SCSI or
> SATA (WD Raptor) HDD of 150 GByte for each Database?
>

> Currently I am using a 3Ware 3w8500-12S with 2 x WD1500GD (OS,
> Raid-1) and 8 HDD's using Raid-5 but I can switch to 4 x Raid-1 plus
> (two "new" HDD's).  I do not like LVM because too negative experience.
>

> Or would it generaly better to use 1U Server Racks with each one
> Raid-1 of 150 GByte?  (Since the prices for 1U servers are falling
> in germany)
>
> My current server eat 2 x 4U for the Database, 4U for the Webserver
> and 3 x 4U for the Binaries (1,8 TB of original documents of any kind).
>
> Those three servers plus a very big Sun machine are connected of a
> CISCO to a SONET Dual STM-4 (since end march).  Maybe it is relevant.
>

> Thanks
> Michelle Konzack
>

> --
> Linux-User #280138 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org/
> ##################### Debian GNU/Linux Consultant #####################
> Michelle Konzack   Apt. 917                  ICQ #328449886
> 50, rue de Soultz         MSM LinuxMichi
> 0033/3/88452356    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

       match