2007/1/16, Max Ueda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hi,

I've been wondering with some wrong results that are
being returned from some functions in my application.
Basically, they are algebraic functions dealing with
int values.

Some results made me think of coercion between int
types. For example, atributing a int8 value into a
int2 variable. Does it really happen (coercion)? Is
the int8 value automatically converted into int2, or
an error should be returned in that case?

AFAIK, the coercion does occur when needed but it gives a clear error
message when appropriate. I mean simple situations like

CREATE TABLE test ( i4 INT4, i8 INT8 );
insert into test ( i8 ) select 99999999999999999;
update test set i4 = i8;
ERROR:  integer out of range

Could you perhaps give an example of your problem?

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq