Dave Page wrote:
This is a problem I've been thinking about on and off recently - and I am starting to come to the conclusion that shipping each version of the utilities is the only way things are likely to work unless someone puts some really significant effort into adding backwards compatibility modes to pg_dump (which I imagine is likely to meet resistance if offered as a patch anyway).

I never had a issue before the 8.2 dump and the GRANT ON SEQUENCE. The version differences in PGSQL are nothing compared to what goes on with MySQL.

Maybe that would be a good Google summer of code project :-) (make pg_dump more backwards compatible to at least 8.0)

Later,

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design