ARTEAGA Jose wrote:
I have been using postgres 7.0.3 (Solaris 2.9) for the past 4 years
without any major problems, until about a month ago. We are now
experiencing crashes on the backend (connection lost to backend) while
running queries (inserts, etc). Anyway I don't want to make this too
technical but I'd just like to understand if maybe I'm running into some
sort of limit on the size of the database. My biggest table is currently
at 1.5B tuples.

Would appreciate if anyone could let me know or is aware of any limits
with 7.0 version.

I don't remember any specific size limitations on the 7.0 series. For more detailed help you'll have to provide some specific error messages.

Is there any chance you could move to a more recent version in the near future? You'll get much better support with a more recent version (there's just that many more users). You should also notice some substantial performance improvements compared to 7.0.

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend