Lonni J Friedman wrote:
Unfortunately, its too late now.  The database (and its tables) have
been around for a while, so even if I added this column, it wouldn't
help me for the thousands of pre-existing rows.  Thanks though.

Please don't top-post.

Assuming that the majority of the pre-existing rows are more than 24 hours old, there probably wouldn't be any harm in altering the table with the new column and assigning all present rows the timestamp for the moment you do this. Then just wait at least 24 hours before doing whatever it is you wish to do.

Not perfect, but it doesn't seem like it would be a problem.

brian

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq