> From: Joshua D. Drake [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> In those rare cases wouldn't it make more sense to just set
> enable_seqscan to off; run query; set enable_seqscan to on;

1. these cases are not that rare (to me);

2. setting enable_seqscan (in JDBC, say) from the application makes the
whole thing quite a mess (need to do a batch of statements: each query
wrapped in its enable/disable seq scan?) -- ideally, one would like to
issue mostly SQL statements, not config parameters from the application;

3. if this is the recommended suggestion on how to run queries then why
don't we just add HINTS to the system and be done with it...

               http://archives.postgresql.org/