Hi,

On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 07:32:11PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 6:57 PM Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > And I'm suspicious that having an exception for slots being synced is
> > a bad idea. That makes too much of a judgement about how the user will
> > use this field. It's usually better to just expose the data, and if
> > the user needs helps to make sense of that data, then give them that
> > help separately.
>
> The reason we didn't set this for sync slots is that they won't be
> usable (one can't use them to decode WAL) unless standby is promoted
> [2]. But I see your point as well. So, I have copied the others
> involved in this discussion to see what they think.

Yeah I also see Robert's point. If we also sync the "last inactive time" field
then
we would need to take care of the corner case mentioned by Shveta in [1] during
promotion.

[1]:
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJpy0uCLu%2BmqAwAMum%3DpXE9YYsy0BE7hOSw_Wno5vjwpFY%3D63g%40mail.gmail.com

Bertrand Drouvot