On Fri, 22 Mar 2024 at 12:46, Melih Mutlu <m.melihmu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I did all of the above changes and it seems like those resolved the
> regression issue.

Thanks for adjusting the patch.   The numbers do look better, but on
looking at your test.sh script from [1], I see:

meson setup --buildtype debug -Dcassert=true
--prefix="$DESTDIR/usr/local/pgsql" $DESTDIR && \

can you confirm if the test was done in debug with casserts on?   If
so, it would be much better to have asserts off and have
-Dbuildtype=release.

I'm planning to run some benchmarks tomorrow.   My thoughts are that
the patch allows the memcpy() to be skipped without adding any
additional buffer flushes and demonstrates a good performance increase
in various scenarios from doing so.  I think that is a satisfactory
goal. If I don't see any issues from reviewing and benchmarking
tomorrow, I'd like to commit this.

Robert, I understand you'd like a bit more from this patch. I'm
wondering if you planning on blocking another committer from going
ahead with this? Or if you have a reason why the current state of the
patch is not a meaningful enough improvement that would justify
possibly not getting any improvements in this area for PG17?

David

[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGPVpCSX8bTF61ZL9jOgh1AaY3bgsWnQ6J7WmJK4TV0f2LPnJQ%40mail.gmail.com