On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 10:52 AM Thomas Munro <thomas.mu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think 1 is good, as a rescan is even more likely to find the pages
> in cache, and if that turns out to be wrong it'll very soon adjust.

Hmm, no I take that back, it probably won't be due to the
strategy/ring...  I see your point now... when I had a separate flag,
the old distance was remembered across but now I'm zapping it.  I was
trying to minimise the number of variables that have to be tested in
the fast path by consolidating.  Hmm, it is signed -- would it be too
weird if we used a negative number for "finished", so we can just flip
it on reset?