On Tue, Apr 2, 2024 at 1:11 PM Kartyshov Ivan
<i.kartys...@postgrespro.ru> wrote:
> On 2024-04-02 11:14, Andy Fan wrote:
> > If so, when users call pg_wal_replay_wait, they can get informed when
> > the wal is replaied to the target_lsn, but they can't know how long
> > time
> > it waits unless they check it in application side, I think such
> > information will be useful for monitor purpose sometimes.
> >
> > select pg_wal_replay_wait(lsn, 1000);  may just take 1ms in fact, in
> > this case, I want this function return 1.
>
> Hi Andy, to get timing we can use \time in psql.
> Here is an example.
> postgres=# \timing
> Timing is on.
> postgres=# select 1;
>   ?column?
> ----------
>          1
> (1 row)
>
> Time: 0.536 ms
>

> >        <returnvalue>void</returnvalue>
> And returning VOID is the best option, rather than returning TRUE|FALSE
> or timing. It left the logic of the procedure very simple, we get an
> error if LSN is not reached.
>
> 8 years, we tried to add this feature, and now we suggest the best way
> for this feature is to commit the minimal version first.
>
> Let's discuss further improvements in future versions.

+1,
It seems there was not yet a precedent of builtin PostgreSQL function
returning its duration.  And I don't think we need to introduce such
precedent, at least now.  This seems like we're placing the
responsibility on monitoring resources usage to an application.

I'd also like to note that pg_wal_replay_wait() comes with a dedicated
wait event.  So, one could monitor the average duration of these waits
using sampling of wait events.

------
Regards,
Alexander Korotkov