Hi,

On Wed, Apr 03, 2024 at 11:17:41AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> > I like this idea better, it takes care of such a case too when the
> > user is relying on sync-function rather than worker and does not want
> > to get the slots invalidated in between 2 sync function calls.
>
> Please find the attached v31 patches implementing the above idea:

Thanks!

Some comments related to v31-0001:

=== testing the behavior

T1 ===

> - synced slots get their on inactive_since just like any other slot

It behaves as described.

T2 ===

> - synced slots inactive_since is set to current timestamp after the
> standby gets promoted to help inactive_since interpret correctly just
> like any other slot.

It behaves as described.

CR1 ===

+        <structfield>inactive_since</structfield> value will get updated
+        after every synchronization

indicates the last synchronization time? (I think that after every
synchronization
could lead to confusion).

CR2 ===

+                       /*
+                        * Set the time since the slot has become inactive
after shutting
+                        * down slot sync machinery. This helps correctly
interpret the
+                        * time if the standby gets promoted without a restart.
+                        */

It looks to me that this comment is not at the right place because there is
nothing after the comment that indicates that we shutdown the "slot sync
machinery".

Maybe a better place is before the function definition and mention that this is
currently called when we shutdown the "slot sync machinery"?

CR3 ===

+                        * We get the current time beforehand and only once to
avoid
+                        * system calls overhead while holding the lock.

s/avoid system calls overhead while holding the lock/avoid system calls while
holding the spinlock/?

CR4 ===

+        * Set the time since the slot has become inactive. We get the current
+        * time beforehand to avoid system call overhead while holding the lock

Same.

CR5 ===

+       # Check that the captured time is sane
+       if (defined $reference_time)
+       {

s/Check that the captured time is sane/Check that the inactive_since is sane/?

Sorry if some of those comments could have been done while I did review
v29-0001.

Bertrand Drouvot
PostgreSQL Contributors Team
RDS Open Source Databases