On 25.04.24 06:20, Tom Lane wrote:
Something I've been mulling over is whether to suggest that the
proposed "new port" should only target building with gcc.

On the one hand, that would (I think) remove a number of annoying
issues, and the average end user is unlikely to care which compiler
their database server was built with.  On the other hand, I'm a strong
proponent of avoiding software monocultures, and xlc is one of the few
C compilers still standing that aren't gcc or clang.

My understanding is that the old xlc is dead and has been replaced by "xlclang", which is presumably an xlc-compatible frontend on top of clang/llvm. Hopefully, that will have fewer issues.