>Tom Lane wrote:
>>range-checks are present only where needed for the backend to defend itself

Survival is very important, but so is maintaining data integrity. IMHO, data validation should be as consistent as possible. If the backend refuses data on one hand but allows it on the other, confusion sets in. I realize that binary input can't always be 100% validated, but a best effort is good form. It looks like most recv funcs already have checks, where a check is somewhat meaningful.

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org