Jeff Davis wrote:
Well, for starters, using binary format.  It is undeniable that that
creates more portability risks (cross-architecture and cross-PG-version
issues) than text format.  Not everyone wants to take those risks for
benefits that may not be meaningful for their apps.

What are the cross-architecture risks involved?

Regards,
        Jeff Davis

>>> What are the cross-architecture risks involved?
We didn't run into any issues here. close attention was paid to byte ordering, the rest was handled by libpq's cross-platform handling.

cross-PG-version is a different story. the patch already uses server version to toggle (like use int4 for money pre-8.3). If we make this a separate library, it would be easy to plug in a newer or older one. Merlin had some ideas here ... Merlin?

Andrew