Tom Lane wrote:

Hmm.  I guess it wouldn't be completely out of the question to expose
the contents of PGresult as part of libpq's API.  We haven't changed it
often, and it's hard to imagine a change that wouldn't be associated
with a major-version change anyhow.  We could do some things to make it
a bit more bulletproof too, like change cmdStatus from fixed-size array
to pointer to allocated space so that CMDSTATUS_LEN doesn't become
part of the API.

Alternatively, we could keep it opaque and expose a bunch of manipulator
routines, but that might be a lot more cumbersome than it's worth.

                        regards, tom lane

How about a proxy header (if such an animal exists). Maybe it is possible to take pg_result, and all structs it references, and put it in result-int.h. libpq-int.h would obviously include this. Also, any external library, like libpqtypes, that need direct access to a result can include result-int.h. This keeps pg_result and referenced structs out of libpq-fe.h. From a libpq user's viewpoint, nothing has changed.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC