On Aug 5, 2008, at 4:07 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:36 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
Magnus Hagander <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
The good way to solve this would be to have independant command line utilities which check pg_hba.conf, pg_ident.conf and postgresql.conf for errors. Then DBAs could run a check *before* restarting the server.

While clearly useful, it'd still leave the fairly large foot-gun that is
editing the hba file and HUPing things which can leave you with a
completely un-connectable database because of a small typo.

That will *always* be possible, just because software is finite and
human foolishness is not ;-).

Certainly - been bitten by that more than once. But we can make it
harder or easier to make the mistakes..

Yeah. I'm sure we've all done it.

Would it be possible to have two config files? An old and a new?

That way we could specify new file, but if an error is found we revert
to the last known-good file?

That would encourage the best practice of take-a-copy-then-edit.

Perhaps the --check-config option should take an (optional) file name? That would allow you to validate a config file without having to copy it into place first.

        postgres --check-config=myFilenameGoesHere -D $PGDATA

                -- Korry