David Fetter wrote:
Folks,

As the things stored in databases grow, we're going to start needing
to think about database objects that 4 bytes of size can't describe.
People are already storing video in lo and bytea fields.  To date, the
sizes of media files have never trended downward.

I always find these requests puzzling. Is it really useful to store the data for a jpeg, video file or a 10GB tar ball in a database column? Does anyone actually search for byte sequences within those data streams (maybe if it were text)? I would think that the metadata is what gets searched: title, track, name, file times, size, etc... Database storage is normally pricey, stocked with 15K drives, so wasting that expensive storage with non-searchable binary blobs doesn't make much sense. Why not offload the data to a file system with 7200 RPM SATA drives and store a reference to it in the db? Keep the db more compact and simpler to manage.

Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC