Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Andrew Chernow escribió:
Attached is the latest patch. It has addressed the requested changes found here: http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-05/msg00389.php

Its a tarball because there are two new files, libpq-events.c and libpq-events.h. The patch is in the tarball as well as attached to the email.

I modified this patch slightly.  I was about to try libpqtypes on it,
but then I noticed that libpqtypes as published on pgfoundry is based on
a very old version of this patch, so I punted.  So, for now, the only
guarantee is that it compiles with no warnings.

Being that it is now on pgfoundry, we didn't want to make drastic changes. We wanted to wait to see how this patch unfolds and make a major change then.

"event" version of libpqtypes (not on foundry yet)
http://libpqtypes.esilo.com/libpqtypes-events.tar.gz

(I also removed PQresultAlloc.)

Nooooooo ... removing PQresultAlloc breaks libpqtypes! It also removes some of the use cases provided by PQsetvalue, which allows one to add to a result (in our case from scratch).

There's one thing that seems a bit baroque, which is the
PG_COPYRES_USE_ATTRS stuff in PQcopyResult.  I think that flag
introduces different enough behavior that it should be a routine of its
own, say PQcopyResultAttrs.  That way you would leave out the two extra
params in PQcopyResult.

Okay.  We can move attr copying to its own function.

Oh -- one last thing.  I am not really sure about the flags to
PQcopyResult.  Should there really be flags to _remove_ behavior,
instead of flags that add?

Agreed, that is kinda weird. Probably ended up that because the flags were an after thought.

> However, the only change of any significance that I introduced was that
> a "name" is attached to every event proc, so that it can be reported in
> error messages, as reporting only %p seems very useless.  (I also
> removed PQresultAlloc.)

I don't mind re-introducing the name, but Tom seemed very against this due to conflicts. If 2 different libraries register the same name, debugging would be painful.

> The main missing thing from this patch is SGML docs for the
> new libpq functions.

We have no issue here. We are waiting for the patch to gain acceptance so we only document this once.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC