Russell Smith wrote:
I'm sorry, I meant processes there. I'm aware there are no threads. But my feeling was that when you forked with open files you got all of
the open file properties, including positions, and as you dupped the
descriptor, you share all that it's pointing to with every other copy of
the descriptor.  My brief research on that shows that in 2005 there was
a kernel mailing list discussion on this issue. http://mail.nl.linux.org/kernelnewbies/2005-09/msg00479.html was quite
informative for me.  I again could be wrong but worth a read.  If it is
true, then the file needs to be reopened by each child, it can't use the
duplicated descriptor.  I haven't had a change to implementation test is
as it's late here.  But I'd take a stab that it will solve the
compression library problems.

I hope this helps, not hinders

I'm sure that's the problem. Should be fairly easily fixable, I believe.

Thanks for the info.

cheers

andrew