You mean that when results are asked in textual representation (the default),
data is sent on network directly as text?

yes.

You should know that text/binary conversions rarely play a significant
role in terms of performance.  There are exceptions...large bytea
columns, or enormous sets of integers.  This is coming from a guy that
co-wrote a library that allows you to pull data directly in binary.

merlin

If I remember correctly, composites and composite arrays also show worth while performance gains. libpq array and composite handling is what initially spawned the libpqtypes project (which required providing type handling for every basic type like int and text). So, different types were implemented for different reasons, it was not all performance. The ultimate functionality we were looking for was multiple result sets, which composite arrays solve nicely.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC