Philip Warner wrote:
Tom Lane wrote:
I think pretty much everybody except Philip Warner has found the stuff
around the TOC data structure and the "archiver" API to be confusing.
I'm not immediately sure about a better design though, at least not if
you don't want to duplicate a lot of code between the plain pg_dump and
the pg_dump/pg_restore cases.

Here was I thinking it was more or less self-documenting and clear ;-).
But, yes, it is complex, and I can still see no way to reduce the
complexity. I should have some old notes on the code and am happy to
expand them  as much as necessary.

If people want to nominate key areas of confusion, I will concentrate on
those first.

In terms of the current discussion, I am not sure I can help greatly;
writing cross-platform thread code is non-trivial. One minor point: I
noticed in early versions of the code that a global AH had been created
-- it occurs to me that this could be problem.

No, it's not. It's not used in any thread except the main thread.

cheers

andrew