> Sure. Here's a nice example from SQL Server as well as related doc links:
>
> http://blog.benhall.me.uk/2007/10/sql-connection-application-name.html
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.sqlconnection.connectionstring%28VS.85%29.aspx

that looks as if the entry defaults to the application name (argv[0])

> Similar features are available in Oracle:
>
> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96612/d_appin2.htm

and I definitely know from Oracle, that the application name is the default
without the progammer / user issuing any SET command.

Would'nt this also make sense for PostgreSQL? That is, when no environment
is set, and no SET-command is issued, that the application name becomes the
default?

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa