Peter Eisentraut wrote:
On tor, 2009-11-05 at 19:24 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
I'm planning to work on typed tables support.  The idea is that you
create a table out of a composite type (as opposed to the other way
around, which is currently done automatically).

CREATE TYPE persons_type AS (name text, bdate date);

CREATE TABLE persons OF persons_type;

Or the fancy version:

CREATE TABLE persons OF persons_type ( PRIMARY KEY (name) );

And here is the first patch for that.  The feature is complete as far as
I had wanted it.  I would like to add ALTER TYPE support, but that can
come as a separate patch.

+1

ISTM that the ultimate would be a 'create table (...._) without storage' (or some'm) and make 'create type' an alternate syntax for SQL conformance. For various reasons, we've internally adopted using create table for all composites and use a c-like naming convenstion of appending _t to such beasts.

I'll just throw a little meat into the pack wolves....constraints....?

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC