I thought it would be interesting to see how other databases handle
this peculiar deadlock situation.

I didn't have access to any Oracle or Sybase databases, but for what
it's worth I've tested MySQL.

Results:

1. Process 1 successfully made its update and managed to commit.

2. Process 1 second update did not went straight through, but had to
wait for process 2 to attempt to commit.

3. Process 2 did not manage to commit, all its updates were discarded.

Demo of the test:

http://screencast.com/t/ZGJmMTcxN

/Joel

--