On 13.12.2010 20:30, Tom Lane wrote:
Can we fix it so that each child page is updated, and its downlink
inserted, as a separate atomic action?  That'd require each intermediate
state to be consistent and crash-safe, but I think you really need the
intermediate states to be consistent anyway because of concurrent scans.

Yes, all the intermediate states are consistent. I'm looking at that approach as we speak. The logic to track what we've done and what needs to be done as the changes are propagated gets quite hairy, but in principle it should work.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas